Nowadays, the decision about what nail shape to choose is much more complicated. Whether it's a celebrity or an influential nail trend, there are a ton of new nail shapes to choose from. What nail shape best suits your natural nail and finger shape? Here are seven of the most popular nail shapes for you to consider.
- 1. Square: short and flat edges, not easy to break. Perfect for individuals who have long, narrow nail beds and like short length. To achieve the look, first, trim your nails to a length that's slightly longer than you desired. Cut straight across your nail tips using a nail clipper. Finish your look by filing your nail edges straight down on both sides and top edge to smooth out the sharpness.
- 2. Squoval: most-popular nail shape that fits all individuals who seek for an easy go-to option. To achieve the look, simply repeat what you would do for a square look, and ALSO file two corners to get a flattering finish.
- 3. Round: a slender nail shape that elongates your nails. Perfect for individuals who have short and medium nail bed and like natural looks. To achieve the look, first, trim your nails to a length that's slightly longer than you desired, and gently file around your fingers. Be sure both sides are parallel.
- 4. Oval: A lengthy elongating nail shape. Perfect for individuals who have long nail bed and like to keep their nails long. To achieve the look, trim your nails to a length that's slightly longer than you desired. File both sides in ONE direction toward your nail tips to create the curvature. When you complete step 1, do the same for your two corners, gently file in ONE direction angling at the tip until you get the full oval shape.
- 5. Almond: Slim shape, creating a smooth peak. Perfect for individuals who have medium and long nails tips and seek for a classic look. To achieve the look, trim your nail to your desired length AND cut the two sides of your nails to get an "almond-like" shape. This step will shorten your filing time. File from side to side and take it slow; otherwise, you might end up with a crooked almond nail.
- 6. Ballerina: also known as "coffin" nail shape. Perfect for individuals who have long nail tips and seek for a trendy look. To achieve the look, cut small amount off the two side of your nail tips and try to keep the width. Slowly file from side to side in ONE direction, making sure you are getting a straight line down to the free edge. File a little bit at a time and don't get too narrow at the end. After you get a straight nail from all angles, also gently file the free edge to get a better picture.
- 7. Stiletto: a sharp and dramatic nail shape. Perfect for individuals who seek for an eye-catching look. To achieve the look, cut small amount off the two side of your nail tips and keep a narrow end. Gently file from side to sides in ONE direction, bringing in the pointed end you desired. However, be sure you are getting straight lines on two sides, try to avoid over-filling on either side.